Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
What category is Robitussin DM for pregnancy?
Dextromethorphan is equipotent to codeine as an antitussive and is a pregnancy category C medication. Dextromethorphan exposure in the first trimester has been studied, and no increased risk of malformations was detected.
How often can you take Robitussin DM while pregnant?
The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours. The multi-symptom preparations that contain dextromethorphan often include “DM” in their name.
Can I take DM while pregnant?
Dextromethorphan (DXM) is an over-the-counter cough suppressant. If you are wondering if you can take dextromethorphan while pregnant, it is considered relatively safe. Recent research has indicated that pregnant women do not have to worry about taking dextromethorphan during their pregnancy.
What is the difference between Robitussin and Robitussin DM?
Robitussin Dm (Guaifenesin / Dextromethorphan) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. … Robitussin (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
Is Robitussin DM alcohol free?
Dextromethorphan HBr 10mg, guaifenesin 100mg; per 5mL; syrup; alcohol-free; contains menthol.
What helps a sore throat when pregnant?
You can try the following:
- Gargle with warm salt water to help your sore throat feel better.
- Avoid cold liquids, which can aggravate a sore throat. Instead, try caffeine-free herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon tea with cinnamon. Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.
What helps a cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
What can I take for dry cough while pregnant?
For a dry cough, a cough suppressant such as pholcodine or dextromethorphan is considered safe during pregnancy.